Lauresa is a mother of twin preschoolers and a toddler living in Northwest Arkansas with her husband and two dogs. She grew up in a family of 11 kids and is now a registered dietitian growing her own private practice, a teacher, and an enthusiastic gardener. She is the co-founder of the blog Black Thumb Garden Club and co-author of the Black Thumb Garden Club Workbook.
Key Points from this episode:
- Writing is one of the most important things someone can do to make progress in anything. It helps us find clarity and move forward toward goals.
- Finding time for creativity in small, consistent ways is a powerful way to make progress. Using projects and Next Actions help you stay focused and make the most of your time.
- Setting rules for yourself during nap time (like no chores, be physically comfy) can open the doorway for you to utilize that time for creative means, but still feel rejuvenated at the end of nap time.
- Having or being an example of having skills or contributions outside of motherhood helps others know that it’s OK!
- Committing to a career-focused education does not stop you from also choosing to have a family. Having a family is your choice, but you can look back in the hard times and remember that you chose it!
- Gardening Tips:
1. Manage your Expectations – recognize that all things have times and seasons
2. Plant it Again – as soon as possible!
3. Prevent Total Devastation – use proactive measures to stop potential issues before they start
- Best starting point for beginner gardeners: Tomato in a 5 gallon pot
- Stop and remember God to help maintain balance. Ask “What do you need me to do right now?” even if you’re really excited about a new idea. The answer is almost always “people, people, people!”
Black Thumb Garden Club Workbook
My Breast Friend Nursing Pillow
It’s About the Feeling We Create in our Homes with April Perry – Thriving in Motherhood Podcast
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up – Marie Kondo
Connect with Lauresa
From the Episode
Thriving in Motherhood Podcast Community on Patreon
Patreon is the place where we can come together as mothers and intentionally cultivate growth together. Each month you can gain access to printable worksheets that go along with topics in the podcast to help us slow down and make lasting change – not just be inspired for a few days and then move on. These worksheets are what I’m personally working on and talking about with my closest friends – and I want YOU to join us!
Cultivate your growth intentionally with us through two worksheets a month, a online community, and a monthly group video call to share our “big wins” and things we are still working on.
2019 Thriving in Motherhood Planner
Buy the downloadable PDF to print out and use or reference
Buy the planner on Amazon – printed, bound, and shipped to your door!