Today I want to share some scripts that will help you advocate for yourself in a couple ways. We’ll talk about when you are discovering things about yourself and you need to have discussions with someone you trust as well as how to ask for help.
Subscribe (and rate and review – thank you!): Google Play | iTunes | Stitcher
Key Points from this Episode:
- Step one to having a productive conversation is you learning to become aware of your own thoughts.
- You don’t need a quiet place to start to figure out your thoughts. It can be while you’re making lunch or doing other things.
- Try saying “the story I am telling myself is…” to start how you are feeling.
- Try saying “I am feeling ___ because of ___.”
- Throughout a discussion with a loved one, listen to understand rather than respond. (Check out Episode 53 for more info)
- Podcast Episodes on the Seven Habits of Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- The Emotional Bank Account with Madeline Casey [Episode 48]
- Living Your Life in Quadrant 2 with Madeline Casey [Episode 49]
- Seeking For Paradigm Shifts with Madeline Casey [Episode 50]
- Expanding Your Circle of Influence with Madeline Casey [Episode 51]
- Seeking to Understand and Thinking Win-Win with Madeline Casey [Episode 53]
- Synergizing in Daily Life and with Major Decisions with Madeline Casey [Episode 54]
- Create Your own Personal Mission Statement with Madeline Casey [Episode 55]
- If you’re feeling defensive, try responding with “thank you for telling me that hard thing.”
- Allow for responses of how the other is feeling.
- If you know circumstances are adjusting and you don’t have the same capacities, you can say “I can tell I’m not going to be able to do all the things I was doing because of XYZ, so what can we let go of or decrease our expectations of so we can choose where my effort goes?”
- If you try to power through for too long, you’ll likely crash and burnout and might even get sick.
- Choose what you let go of and do it in a way that is not a surprise to everyone else in your household.
- Practice with a friend so it’s low-stakes.
Join our private Facebook group here!
From the Episode
Thriving in Motherhood Podcast Community on Patreon
Patreon is the place where we can come together as mothers and intentionally cultivate growth together. Each month you can gain access to printable worksheets that go along with topics in the podcast to help us slow down and make lasting change – not just be inspired for a few days and then move on. These worksheets are what I’m personally working on and talking about with my closest friends – and I want YOU to join us!
Cultivate your growth intentionally with us through two worksheets a month, a online community, and a monthly group video call to share our “big wins” and things we are still working on.